Thursday, April 14, 2016

German armour in winter white-wash

I took advantage of a sale at Warlord Games recently to pick up some armour for my new 28mm late war Germans. I also added a couple of purchases from HotLead last month. I've decided with the late war collection to have only a handful of the more ubiquitous armour support options for the Americans and Germans. I've found with my early war collections, using Chain of Command, that the vast majority of my vehicle models never see the table and that multiples of any one type are generally a waste.

As with the American vehicles, these have been painted with campaign-weary winter paint schemes. and embellished with various bits of gear and accessories. As a first ever try at winter painting, I'm quite happy with the results.



Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer (Warlord Games
This was an exceptional model, especially in that the body is one resin piece. Total assembly time was less than half an hour. I used the sponge method to apply the winter whitewash over a plain dunkelgelb after masking the decals with white-tac. 


Sturmgeschütz III  (Warlord Games
This was a plastic kit of quite fine quality; assembly time about one hour. Although the kit is very nice and relatively easy to build, I've come to the conclusion that I don't have the patience to build models. It's just not a fun part of the hobby for me. In future, I'll farm out the work to others or stick to the resin options. And only one (admittedly minor) nitpick about this model is the sub-par commander figure. I may replace him later with a Warlord Games version.


This is another resin model, even easier to assemble than the Hetzer (assembly time, less than 20 minutes). AGNM models are cast with one solid body and one turret. The track assemblies, main body, and base are, in fact, all one piece. The barrel and smaller detailed pieces (i.e. hatches) are cast in metal. The detail is quite nice and make for a far more robust model than a plastic equivalent. A good portion of my early war collection is made up of AGNM models and they've seen many games and packing/unpacking calamities.

No comments:

Post a Comment